A domain name is the name of your website. Inspiredsite.com is an example of a domain name. Generally, the location of the website is pointed by the IP address but since they are in the form 18.104.22.168, they are very hard to remember. That is why domain names were developed. They also give your site a unique identity as well as Internet presence. For any business to flourish well on Internet it is very important to choose right domain name. A good domain name helps to target audience to your site which results in greater revenue and it also helps to target search engines. In this article are some tips that will help you to choose the best domain name for your website. You can purchase your domain through InspiredSite at very affordable rates.
Tips for Choosing Domain Name
- Your website’s domain name should be a keyword that relates the most to what your website is about. In simpler terms, it should target the area. For e.g. name like buyfurniture.com makes it very clear that the site is for buying furniture.
- Keep it short, simple, easy to spell and catchy. Anything so people would remember it. Keeping it long usually results in misspellings.
- Don’t use any name that is already trademarked, copyrighted or already in use by someone else. Because if you are using a domain name that is already trademarked, you can be in a big trouble. For that complain can be filed against you. So better keep it in mind to check whether it is already in use or not.
- Try avoiding numbers as much as you can. It is very easy for anyone to get confused with numbers. For e.g. If numerical 2 is in your domain and someone has just heard about your website he/she can easily get confused between numerical 2 and spelling ‘two’. May be your domain is me2.com and someone is someone is searching for metwo.com. It would create problem.
- Choose the extension wisely. Some popular extensions are .com, .edu, .gov, .org, .in, .uk, .co.in etc. You can choose extensions in accordance with the location of your website or according to the purpose of website.
Some famous extensions and their purpose are:-
- .com – It is hands down the most used extension. It is for commercial or for profit business websites. But nowadays it has become the mainstay for domain extensions.
- .edu – It is for educational institutes like colleges or schools.
- .co – It is a familiar acronym for company, corporations or commercial ventures.
- .gov – It is limited to government agencies.
- .org – It is limited to non-profit organizations.
- .in – It is for companies, individuals, organizations in India.
All these and many more extensions are available on InspiredSite.
- Always trademark your domain name so no one else can use it.
- Try avoiding hyphens also. Many a time’s people forget to place them while searching for your website. Also using them is not of anything useful.
- One more thing you can do to protect your website name is to buy its misspelled versions. Then redirect it your original website. It can serve you two purposes. One that your competitors cannot make use of your websites popularity by making a website with name similar to yours. Second, if anyone misspelled your websites name, you don’t have to lose any of your visitors. It will be redirected to your original website. Doing it or not is totally up to you.
- Try spreading it as much as you can. The more the people know about your website, more it flourishes.
You can register your domain through InspiredSite. You will get the best options available at the most affordable price at InspiredSite. For any other help you can contact us anytime you want.